Friday, August 15, 2008

Old Timers' Day at Yankee Stadium


On August 2, 2008 my husband and I took our last trip to Yankee Stadium... it was sort of emotional, but at the same time I was overwhelmed by so many things I didn't even think about the "last time" factor. My husband surprised me for my birthday and got these awesome tickets. I mean incredibly awesome. We sat in the first row about the visitors' (LAA Angels) dugout. I could see directly into the Yankees' dugout! And with my 200mm lens, we were in business. What made the seats even greater was that it was the 62nd annual Old Timers' Day... and the largest collection of Yankee greats! I was able to be a stone's throw away from great players like Bucky Dent, Oscar Gamble, Mickey Rivers... players from my childhood. I swear I can still close my eyes and see myself sitting cross-legged in front of my TV watching the game and listening to Phil Rizzuto and Bill White do the broadcasting.

Then there were the recently-retired great players. Paul O'Neill, Tino Martinez, David Wells! It was awesome to see them on the field again. Pictured is Tino at bat, Joe Girardi catching.

We had a great day and it was even better since the Yankees won. I took hundreds of pictures. I still haven't put them on my webpage because I am trying to decide which ones to put there in the interest of bandwidth!

The Stadium looked great and I will miss it when it's gone. I did get to see one more game the next day with friends... but that's it. Unless I have a boatload of good luck come my way, I have visited Yankee Stadium for the last time :(

No comments: